When we take a photo with our Android phone or tablet it goes to the Gallery. It is very easy to locate it because all the photos are usually grouped in an album under the name of "Camera". Quite identifying and descriptive. But the big question is, Where are these photos actually kept? In what folder?
Location or route of the photos we take with an Android phone
Android, like Linux and Windows, has a tree-like folder structure, with its corresponding root, folders, and various subfolders. Therefore, if we connect an Android device to a PC and we want to copy, cut or move a photo, it is necessary to know its location.
Normally all photos taken with the camera app they go to the DCIM folder. Inside here we will find several subfolders, such as "Camera" or "100ANDRO". The full path of these folders is:
- / storage / emulated / 0 / DCIM / Camera
- / storage / emulated / 0 / DCIM / 100ANDRO
Photos taken by other camera apps also tend to go to:
- / storage / emulated / 0 / Pictures
If we are running out of internal storage space on the phone, these are the folders that we must access from the PC to make a good copy or delete them.
On the other hand, if we want to access these folders directly from Android we will need a file explorer. Google Play has a large number of free browsers, such as File Manager +, or the official Google app, Files Go (a cleaning and file management application, 2 in 1).Download QR-Code File Manager Developer: File Manager Plus Price: Free
If we are trying to access these folders because we suspect that we have lost or deleted a photo, this is a good way to check it. If we see that these folders are not there, then yes, we must start applying the corresponding methods to recover deleted photos and videos from Android.
Where are the rest of the downloaded and shared images stored?
But not all the images stored in our Android terminal are stored in the aforementioned DCIM folder.
- If we are looking for images downloaded with the browser or from the mail application, these will normally be in the folder / storage / emulated / 0 / Download.
- WhatsApp images are saved in the folder / storage / emulated / 0 / WhatsApp / Media / WhatsApp Images.
- Instagram images are saved in / storage / emulated / 0 / Pictures / Instagram.
- The images downloaded or shared from other applications such as wallpapers apps, social networks or photo editors, are saved within the folder corresponding to each application or within the folder “Pictures”. For example, wallpapers downloaded from the Wallzy app are saved in / storage / emulated / 0 / Wallzy.
Here we can see the great value that Android image albums and galleries have, since as we can see, depending on the application with which we download or store an image or photograph, it will go to one location or another.You have Telegram installed? Receive the best post of each day on our channel. Or if you prefer, find out everything from our Facebook page.