The Google Chromecast They are really practical devices that allow us to watch Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, DAZN, HBO and other similar services without the need for a smart TV. But what about lifelong live television?
For these cases, an app that is capable of streaming Spanish DTT channels, online TV in Latin America, or whatever broadcast we normally see on the TV screen, would be needed. In this way, we can watch live TV from a computer monitor, or from a TV without digital signal or antenna: all we need is an internet connection.
How to stream TV from a Chromecast with KODI
To carry out our objective we are going to use the KODI multimedia player. As many users of the application will already know, the player is not compatible with Chromecast as standard, but to solve that we will apply a little trick that will allow us to cast KODI content to the TV without major difficulties.
Step # 1: Install KODI
If we still do not have the KODI app installed on the mobile, we can download it from the Android Play Store or from the player's official website, where we will find versions for iOS, Linux, Windows or Raspberry among other systems.Download QR-Code Kodi Developer: XBMC Foundation Price: Free
Step # 2: Load the TV channel list
The next step is to load the TV channels we want to watch on KODI. For this example we are going to use the IPTV broadcasts of Spanish DTT channels (which broadcast openly over the Internet), although we can do the same if we have IPTV broadcasts from channels in another country.
- We enter the Github repository of the TDTChannels project developed by LaQuay and download the complete list of TV channels at a .M3U8 format file. We can also find the download file (m3u8) on the official TDTChannels website HERE.
- Now we open the KODI app and in the side menu click on "Add-ons -> My Add-ons”.
- We navigate to "PVR Clients -> PVR IPTV Simple Client"And we enter"Configure”.
- In this new window we will go to “General -> M3U Play List URL”And we will select the file "m3u8” which we just downloaded just now. Note: If we are using an Android phone, the normal thing is that the file is inside the "Downloads" folder.
- Finally, we press "okay”To load the list, and in the main menu of PVR IPTV Simple Client we activate the button "Enable”.
In this way, we would already have all the Spanish DTT channels available for viewing. To do this we just have to go back to the main KODI menu, and access the "TV" section.
Step # 3: Establish a connection between KODI and the Chromecast
Now that we have the TV configured in KODI we only need be able to send such content to the Chromecast. To achieve this we will use the LocalCast application, which is free and can be perfectly downloaded from the Play Store.Download QR-Code LocalCast for Chromecast, Roku, Fire TV, Smart TV Developer: Stefan Pledl Price: Free
Once we have the app installed, we follow these steps:
- We download the file playercorefactory.xml. This is a very important file, since it is the script that is responsible for forcing the transmission of content from KODI to LocalCast so that we can send it directly to our Chromecast.
- Next, we open the file explorer of our Android phone. If we don't have any installed, we can try with STAR a fairly complete and easy-to-use lightweight manager. Then, we go to the browser settings menu and in "Configure default view settings”We activate the tab so that hidden files are shown.
- The next step is to navigate with the file explorer to the "Downloads" or "Downloads" folder and locate the file. xml that we just downloaded. We copy and paste it inside the folder "userdata”. This folder is located inside the internal memory of the phone, in "Android -> Data -> org.xbmc.kodi -> files -> .kodi”.
With this, what we achieve is that whenever we reproduce something from KODI, such as a television broadcast, LocalCast gives us the possibility of sending all that content directly to the Chromecast, which is just what we are looking for. Besides, also works with the mobile screen off.
Step # 4: Enjoy Internet TV on your Chromecast
From here we only have to put the system that we have just assembled to the test: We open KODI, go to the TV section and select a channel. The first time we will have to configure a couple of parameters to establish the connection with the TV, but from there, all the reproductions will automatically open on the Chromecast device. Practical and very easy to use.You have Telegram installed? Receive the best post of each day on our channel. Or if you prefer, find out everything from our Facebook page.